3.21.2011

Printing Photos: Home v. Online


There are some quick and easy ways to print your photos at home or online. Keep in mind, I am talking snapshots, here. Not art.

So which online service should you use? Snapfish? Shutterfly? Kodak? I go for the value, since they are just snapshots. If I want a better image, I will take the digital file to a local photo shop and have them print it out.

Costco's Photo Center offers the best of both worlds: I can upload my photos online and go to my local Costco a couple hours later to pick them up (or I could have them sent to me). 4x6 snapshots are 17 cents! Recently, I uploaded my photos in Los Angeles and had my mother-in-law pick them up at a Colorado Costco. Pretty clever, eh?

If you're in a rush, you could always go to your local Walgreen’s, or Sav-On and plug your camera's memory card into the photo kiosk in the store. You'll have your photos ready in minutes.

If you really want to print at home, you should get a printer dedicated to printing photos. Regular printers just can't cut it if you want snapshot quality. It's definitely not less expensive (photo paper, ink), but assuredly convenient. With some models, you can entirely avoid the hassle of uploading photos to your computer and simply put the memory card into the printer.

How do you know which one to buy? First, you need to think about how you want to use the printer: all the time? Occasionally? How much space can you afford to give it? How easy to use do you need it to be? Do you need the top of the line? Then, go to Amazon or CNET and search “photo printer.” Read the consumer and editorial reviews. And lastly, it’s always good to go to an electronics store to touch the products and ask questions, even if you’re not going to buy it there because the price is better online. The benefit to buying it in a local store is that you’ll have more recourse, should the printer not suit your needs or not work.

No comments: