3.05.2010

File Sharing: Just Do It


I'm going to give you a real-life example:  my husband and I both need to access Quicken for our finances. One Quicken data file can't be on both computers.  So we use a free (up to 2 gigs are free) software called Dropbox.  Even though Quicken is installed on both of our computers, we have it set up so that I can access it on mine as well -- with a simple click!  We can't work simultaneously, but that's the only limitation.
 
The data file exists in three places, my husband's machine, my machine and online.  Drop Box manages the sync. 

Another perk is that if you break your laptop while traveling, you can still access the data through the Dropbox website.  Of course, it's password protected and only those you invite to share certain files can access them.


Many users are beginning to replace "My Documents" with "My Dropbox" and storing all their files in there...so they can be synced to multiple machines.  The first two gigs are free.  Free.  Hello!

No comments: