5.18.2011

eBay Negative Feedback -- Whether to Rescind


I bought what I figured to be a counterfeit Shu Uemura eyelash curler on eBay.  It only cost me $3.50, including shipping.  I have the product, but I needed the refill and they don't sell them in the US anymore.  

When the package arrived, it looked hinky -- no plastic wrap, no extra pad (as advertised), but still, the cost was low.  I rinsed it off and put it around my eyelashes and squeezed.  

It cut off the ends of my eyelashes!  Thankfully, I have long eyelashes and so I don't look too strange, but it was very disconcerting to get a trim like that.  

I went to the feedback section of eBay and wrote a negative review of my purchase, explaining that the item was counterfeit (I have the real kind and they are plenty different, side to side) and that my eyelashes were cut off.

The seller contacted me and begged me to rescind the feedback.  He would refund my money, he told me.

I thanked him for the offer, but told him that in good conscience, I couldn't rescind the feedback because I had read his feedback before buying and there is nary a mention of an inferior product.  I can't imagine I'm the only one with the issue.  I told him to keep his money and get better products to sell.

He refunded me my money, asking again if I would rescind my feedback.  Again, I told him no.

I don't know what the consequences will be on eBay for me.  I'm not a power seller (or buyer for that matter), but it seems that no one wants to get this bad feedback and will do almost anything to get it rescinded.

Am I the only person (or one of a teeny, tiny group) who puts negative feedback on eBay?

No comments: